View Single Post
      08-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Prospective X1 buyer - questions

So lately we have been on the hunt for a smallish SUV to have a car with some extra cargo space, to haul the dog in, if we decide to have kids, a starter "mom" car, etc. but we want it to still be fun to cruise around in. I want to look forward to driving the car, not have it be some soccer mom bore. We have looked at everything and like the Q5, Evoque, X1, and X3 the best. Her favorite was the X1, so here I am

I've got some questions hoping you all can help with as my sales guy was pretty clueless about the car - all I heard was "yep! sure does! yep! you got it!" - "is this an 8spd tranny?" "yep sure is!" "umm, the dash says 6 and won't go into 7" "oh hmmm, maybe it's a 6spd?" Gotta love dealers:

- Does anyone own or have you driven more than 1 of the above cars? Curious to hear your impressions as well.

- Can you get the 8spd tranny in the X1 35i? In some pictures I see the 8spd shifter (like the configurator pic attached), and in others it's the same 6spd one we drove today. The 8spd felt MUCH better in the X3 than the 6spd in the X1. What are the technical differences in the transmissions?

- If we get the X1 we definitely will get the M line, no doubt about it. But I am a big fan of paddle shifters on auto trans. When I configure on the site, it says if I have the M line, and I select paddle shifters, that I need to remove the M package - is this just a configurator error or seriously, can you not get paddle shifters on the M line (seems kind of odd)

- Are there any plans or rumors about a true X1M? None that I could find but you all know better than me.

- Generally speaking, how is BMW these days with aftermarket modifications? The mod bug might bite me on this car, it could be one heck of a little mini-suv-rocket with a few cheap mods given that motor's potential. I understand this varies from dealer to dealer but interested in your experiences.

- No auto trunk open/close option - really?

- Any Individual options or neat things you can order but need an informed dealer to get it done?

- We will likely do Perf Delivery - any perks/benefits outside of whats listed on the site? For example, when you do Euro Delivery with MB they give you a fixed discount off of MSRP.

Anything else you think I should know given all of the above?
Attached Images

Last edited by rory breaker; 08-18-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0