11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I changed my tires as soon as my RFT caught a nail and the dealer had only one in stock. Also, the previous all season RFT OEM tires which are still on my OEM wheels leave black marks on my garage floors; that doesn't happen with the new non-RFT tires.
I found that (maybe due to the lack of elasticity in certain areas) RFT are more prone to punctures.
I moved from OEM RFT on 17 rims to Non-RFT on 18 M rims (non-staggered) since I do not intend to have summer/winter wheels (I hate having the technicians touching my cars).
I am currently running Continental ExtremeContact DWS and I am very happy with the change. Ride is smoother and I am happy I am not paying $500 anymore for a tire, and since is more popular it means it can be found easier.
I am a Michelin guy but there is no proper all-season tire for this vehicle yet.
That RFT help is bullshit, I live in Canada, if it happens 200 km away (a little mountain trip) I am screwed anyway, I just postpone the agony, running few more km with the RFT that is not available to any other tire shop, it doesn't make sense for them to stock such expensive and rare tire. Even the dealer had only one in stock when I had my problem with the nail and that one was for another client too. No RFT for me, ever.
BMW should start install a spare tire in these "outdoor" vehicles because so far they don't offer any freedom.
RTF pricing are indeed really prohibitive.
Since you got non-RTF, do you have a compact spare tire and a tire jack?
If so how much did you pay?
Appreciate 0