bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Will it be twin turbo 4?
If you mean a twin turbo 4 petrol engine, I don't think so. BMW doesn't offer a petrol 4 in the X1 (EDIT: in some markets, there is a 18i); their current petrol lineup doesn't have anything sufficiently powerful to put in a X1 and still keep the perception of a performance car. (By performance I don't mean 335 and M3 performance, just generally more performance than a basic car). From things I've read, BMW is working on new TT I4 petrol engines, so that may work out. But there was talks a while back that they very likely will also bring the X1 will diesel options.

If they bring over the 23d engine, they can use it in the X1, next-gen 1er, next-gen 3er. Its a powerful 2.0L Diesel with stunning performance, and once's it's cleared, they can use it in more cars.

The problem is that BMW hasn't been too successful with the diesels in the North American market. I know 33% of X5s sold are the 35d model, but truth is, a big part of is due to BMW's $4,500 Ecowhatever credit, that subsidized the cost of the car, and at the same time significantly reduces their profit. I'd think a strong and clever marketing campaign would have been a better long term investment, or perhaps setting up events to get people to come to drive the cars. Costs a lot of money, but so does $4,500 on every car.
Appreciate 0