08-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #39
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
???
Bilstein HDs (for example) are "valved for stock springs", but that doesn't mean they aren't stiffer than stock. They are, in the 10-20% range.

They're not improper for use with stock springs, and in fact, are well-liked by most. It's more a product of BMW's shock tuning going from the best in the business, to straight to hell...likely the result of having to accommodate the runflats.

Quote:

I agree about the usefulness of the subframe bushings, particularly under braking. But it was my impression the instability the other poster mentioned was over highway joints and bumps due to a soft rear spring.
Got ya, you were referring to the hop from bottoming on the stops. Yes, with the factory compression damping and the reduced rear travel, the springs aren't stiff enough to adequately control compression reasonably into the stroke of the stops...but it should be getting into them none-the-less (not that the rear shocks aren't already overwhelmed with the new higher rates).

Quote:
Yep, the forum is dying (just like BMW's driving DNA).
Uggg...let's not get started on that. We'd be here all night.

OK, I'm old and I need sleep.

Later man. And keep driving people what I imagine is bat-shit crazy out there at your track days. "FTW is that thing?!"
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 08-11-2015 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0