111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13
Looks much better than the X3 in my opinion. Yeh it's so ugly that it's the best selling SUV in Europe. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on looks but I prefer it over how any wagon looks. My wife actually wanted the F31 wagon but I talked here into buying an X1 due to looks. Sdrive will get almost identical fuel economy at 24 city and 33 hwy, sits slightly higher for better view and will actually be slightly smaller than the F31 and a lot cheaper in cost. Still has hydraulic steering instead of electric and a solid chassis in the E90.

It's funny how 2 ppl can find the exact same characteristics as 2 totally different things. I agree with all your points, but those are the reasons I wouldn't get an X1. I feel like the ride height is a compromise - either go high or go low. I feel fuel economy would be even better in a car/wagon b/c it would weigh less, but I would be willing to sacrifice it for a proper SUV. I totally see your POV, and that is prob why it will sell well here.
I agree that a wagon would be more attractive, but with the same options, the X1 will probably cost $5-6k less than the F31. Since this would be a replacement for my wife's car, she doesn't really care if the F31 handles better than the X1. She would care if it costs more, so the X1 would be her choice between the two.

Most non-enthusiasts are probably in agreement, evidence being the proliferation of 'cute utes' such as the Honda CRV, Ford Escape, etc. that sell like hotcakes. Those same manufacturers have abandoned the wagon market, which is a damn shame in my book.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0