View Single Post
      09-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

iDrive is the only expensive feature I am getting right now on the car unless I change my mind and do something like get the ultimate package.

I do agree with you that a cheap GPS will probably give directions better from a routing perspective then the BMW navigation system and probably be much less expensive to update.

Nevertheless, I decided to go with it since I feel as though it will make other features such as bluetooth/cellphone integration, satellite radio(which is the only other option I'm getting right now), iPod/MP3 navigation etc. so much better. CNET and other websites now pretty much all say that the current iDrive system is one of the best infotainment systems out there even if the navigation itself isn't the best.

In my situation, I figure iDrive cost $2500 after i figure in tax/increased insurance costs and I'll probably get $1000 of that back if I sell the car 5/6 years after it is delivered.

The built in Navigation part of the iDrive system on the big screen is probably only worth $800 to me. The other parts are worth perhaps $1000 to me.

And since I always wanted a system like this, not regretting getting it is worth the other $700

I would check the system out in person or at least look at some youtube videos.
Appreciate 0