Thread: Voice-command?
View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Initially I was not going to go for the Tech package, but in the end I decided I wanted the larger screen, IDrive, etc. And I guess I'll learn to appreciate having Nav. so I went from a deposit on an X1 with nothing but premium to an order for an X1 with Ultimate, Lighting and H/K...

How is the Voice Command working for those out there with Nav? I didn't test drive an X1 with Nav or Voice Command, but I did test drive a Q5 and a Ford Edge, believe it or not, that had similar voice recognition features, and neither worked smoothly for the demonstrating salesman.

Have a feeling the main voice command I will be using is "STFU", if you know what I mean...
I don't have much experience with the BMW voice commands yet but I have seen the new Ford Escapes which was somewhat flaky on an otherwise very good car for its target audience. I bought the X1 with navigation fully expecting most voice commands not to work that well. If some of them work great that is an unexpected bonus. In reality, I expect voice commands to be useful for some functions but not that useful for others. Entering addresses into the Navigator is one where I expect manually entry to be faster in most situations.

I've owned Nuvi's/Garmin's for perhaps 7-8 years and there is little doubt they are easier to enter addresses then 95% of the factory navigation units that are out there.

That being said, I think if you take hour or so to get comfortable with the Nav functionality and entering addresses manually, you will appreciate the much larger screen and the fact that the navigation is integrated into the car instead of having to take out the Nuvi at the beginning of a trip and put it away at the end.

As for the accuracy, most BMW customers are pretty happy with the factory nav in terms of accuracy and routing but it is really based upon where you live. In general, the Nuvi's are probably more accurate but the BMW's by most accounts aren't bad and they are quicker to pick up a satellite signal in general.
Appreciate 0