View Single Post
      07-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
ddavid1101
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by w* View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have no kids, but planning on starting a family in the next 1-2 years? We live in NYC so only use the car for weekend road trips. 328 on paper has a decent trunk, but the trunk opening (in my 09)is fairly small, wedging my golf clubs in takes some effort. My assumption is that the x1's tailgate opening(and height as you mention)will help me there. Also being able to put seats down expands the options. You'd agree it's more versatile than a sedan? When trunk space is listed in cubic feet is that only up to the privacy screen? Or the roof?

What do you mean by more seating room? Rear legroom or the front seats? They improved rear space in the new 2012 328 which I was hoping would translate to the x1 as well.

Also how would you compare the x1s ride/road noise to the x3? I was fairly unimpressed with the x3s ride during our test drive, but I consider the ride/lack of road noise a main reason to pay up for BMW. The ride on or 40k miles 328 is still fantastic.

I'm a bit on the fence as well. I agree with the mileage being important, I also have an additional factor in that the garage I use will charge me more for the x3 or probably all of the other cars you mention. So it seems silly to make that step up given that the x3 is bigger than what we'll need for at least the
next 2-3 years or so.

Based on what I've read elsewhere I think you're right that the x1 isn't a long-term family size car, but I counterweight that with two thoughts. 1) It's
hard to buy any car with the assumption you'll use it for the next 8 to 10 years(with the side note that if that is the plan then mileage is even more important) 2) as our family grows and we move to the suburbs presumably becoming a two car family, we could get an x3 or whatever to complement this as a daily commuter or something along those lines.

Truthfully I'd rather wait 6 months to a year and see how the x1 pans out, but
I'm getting a very fair trade in for my current car that will start to fall fairly quickly I think.

My dealer has assured me that if I place an order and don't like the car I can just walk away, so I'm fairly sure I'll place the order by the end of the week.
But as someone who is looking for a car with similar attributes it worries me that you've gone from being very gung-ho to on the fence.
Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

I just moved out of manhattan in January, relocated to Texas for work.

The most important difference between me and you, is you are trading in your car, which means you will have only one after this purchase with an option to buy another once you move out of the city. I bought a 2012 Sonata in January and the next car(X1 or something else) would be my second/go to family car. Sonata has more interior space and cargo than the X1. You can treat the X1 as your sedan/commuter for now and get a bigger one in 2-3 years time. Which I think would be perfect for you. I need the family car now and X1 prob wont hit the spot, I might have to trade in sonata in a couple of years and get something bigger.

I do think new 328 has more room(leg,shoulder,hip,etc) both in front and back than the X1 with the exception of headroom(but not by much). I believe the cargo space is determined up to privacy screen. I do agree the X1 is more versatile as you can stuff the cargo hold to the roof if you ever needed. Another thing, I dont think you can fit a set of golf clubs in the X1 without folding down the second row. You might want to check out the measurements. Didnt look like it to me. I believe the X1 is based/built off of the 3series wagon frame which I think is smaller than the new 328.

I think I have to look around. maybe at a CRV or the new Ford Escape etc where it's just bigger and still got good milage. I just wish one of the midsize lux SUVs have updated their engine and milage already. Looks like first one up is GLK with Diesel mid next year followed by X3 in 2014, but nothing within the next little bit.

For you, got for X1, it is a good choice if you only have one car for now. Get something bigger later(X3 or what ever). X1 is cheaper than 328 but more versatile. And you wont get that "SUV/Van" surcharge at NYC garages. I think for you, it's perfect for what you need right now.

Let me know your thoughts. Did you negotiate a price on the X1 already? What did they quote you?
Appreciate 0