09-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post

Congratulations. So what sold her on the 35i over the 28i?
We traded her 135i on it, and while the 8s is great with the 2.0L, she just preferred the more effortless torque of the 3.0L. The gas mileage difference is huge, but she also only puts about 6k miles on her car every year, so it's a pretty small difference.

Brakes also made a rather large impact, the 35i brakes are both larger and have a better, firmer feel on both demo cars, which should have properly bedded in brakes.

We were also considering the F30, and what's weird is that the 2.0L feels perfect in it, perhaps the X1 is just heavy enough to make it feel a little bit more burdened. But the size of the F30 was a real turn off, it's just too large of a car. The X3 was surprisingly good with the 3.0L and the 8s auto, probably not any slower than the X1 with the 6s, but pricing starts to get silly, and it's both bigger and more ponderous than the F30 and certainly more so than the E84. The X1 is a great package for our needs, so far she seems very pleased with it.

Looking forward to being out of the break in period. The N55 feels smoother than the 45k mile N54 we traded in and makes a nicer overall sound, at least up to 4k rpm. It doesn't feel as strong, but then it's in a heavier car, with awd and is very green. It will be interesting to see how it feels after break in.
Appreciate 0