ams3177
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 30D MSports

Garage List
2014 BMW 530D  [0.00]
Hi,

Even my X1 had identical issues. When I complained to my dealer they mentioned that since it is occuring above national speed limit (70MPH), they can not test drive the car to identify the problem.
Anyway, the windshield developed a crack and I had to change it. Since my insurance company has a tie-up with 'Autoglass' here in UK, I went to their centre and they replaced the windshield. And the noise stopped after that. It has been over three weeks now since the windshield was changed and I have not had the noise even once. I have driven the car at varying speeds low-high and with/against wind and no . Now this makes me think that there was definitely a problem with either the windshield or with the way windshield was fitted. And somehow neither BMW nor the dealers are acknowleding this. What a shame.
So my advice is, if you have having this issue, insist on a inspection of windshild / sealant etc. and it will do the trick.

Cheers,
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgordon View Post
Hi All,

I have owned my X1 for 3 months now and this is the 1st time I have got round to looking on the internet about a strange noise my car makes. I am glad to see it's not just my car! So here is the problem...
If the weather is good (no wind) and you reach 80-85mph it sounds like a gentle blow through a harmonica coming from somewhere central in the dash. If you are driving into a headwind it starts at lower speeds of 75-80mph. I have fidled around with the air vents but it does not change the noise. Its like that great big grill at the front is sucking in so much air and it is being forced through somewhere into the cabin.
Its got to go back to the dealer for a brain numbing rattle also coming from inside the dash hopefully they can solve both problems.
Other than this I love it!
Cheers All.
Appreciate 0