View Single Post
      02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey,

I’m always eager to read other peoples tuning.
I do have to say a lot of bullshit in this topic.
(Comparing a motor tuned X1 with a Porsche is nice, because it has the same power output. I wish it had the same handling, would love that.)

The 2.3d has breaks that are overpowered, there made to stop the 135i (not sure if it are the same breaks as the X1 3.5i, it would be logic however). My source could be wrong but look at those discs and try it for yourself. All friends are stunned how the car (engine, AT, xdive) performs, same for the breaks.

The stock suspension of the X1 is good, when taking corners on high speed however the car tends to roll over a little. Even then you can go hard on the gas pedal but is is very tricky is S cornering. X1 is kind of jumpy but with all motorizations and suspension you have that problem.

More power but same riding means less consumption yes, when using the extra power the consumption is about the same. 6,4l/100km and 1000km on full tank is very ( very, very ) optimistic with this car, I don’t say it isn’t possible. I am doing this on open road (with hot engine) when driving alone on cruise control 130km/h, no AC in use and all windows (and roof) closed.

X1's 2.3d AT gearbox is not the same as the 330d (stock over 500nm?) or a 335d (tuned they go over 800nm) etc, it is rated for 450-500nm, depends on if you ask BMW or the manufacture ZF. My car did weird running on 265hp/480nm, doing over 5000rpm and hanging there for about 1-3 seconds. Problem was gone after re-adapting, resulting in no problems anymore but output is 262hp/470nm. (DPF and rear silencer are still there for looks but inside it is inox tubing, also the stock air filter is change by a sport filter )

Totally different car in response of the gas pedal( I hated that big lag response) , breaks are still overpowered (what’s a good thing). With a sport suspension it would be super, with the stock suspension the same problem is still there but now it isn’t worse than before. When I’m driving I feel how the car handles, I don’t think “I don’t take people with me in the car because that is a 160kg extra and my suspension and brakes can’t handle that” you adapt your driving, more power doesn’t mean you are driving faster, when it rains you don’t drive like you are driving normal. Do I make sense?

Good thing that you are happy with your power box, that consumption is lower and you keep your warranty. My car has the ECU altered and so the warranty on motor/transmission isn’t there anymore, however the tuning is adapted on the test bench, for the engine I think it is more healthy now, transmission and the rest of the car can have it. Not every car/motor is the same.

Also, keep in mind the 3.5 has 300hp stock, you would be surprised how many parts are the same and even 3.5's are motor tuned till crazy outputs with letting other parts like suspension, transmission and brakes the same.

Using a power box is a gamble, the topic starter gamble was good (till now and hopefully till he’s bored of the car and sells it).

Hope this is useful for other people.
Appreciate 0