Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Really helpful insight folks thanks.

So we've narrowed it down to 3:

x1 28i
x1 35i
Volvo XC60-R design

We like the r-design because it has a bunch of cool safety features, picks up well (but feels much heavier), is pretty cool/exclusive because you dont see many out there, styling is nice (20's are gorgeous, interior is great), very spacious. A few little things bother me (doesnt feel as agile as the X1, technology not as nice as X1, etc)

The 28i is a tough one for me. I honestly dont feel it's that different from the 35i. It feels lighter, very peppy...awesome car. LOVE the 8spd transmission, shifts much quicker and smoother than the 6spd in the 35i. Downside to me is, it sounds like a rental car....its got a 4cyl grunt thats just annoying to hear. With the paddle shifters I bet it can become tiresome downshifting and hearing this little sewing machine "vroom-ing".

The 35i is awesome in every way except I felt more lag than the 28i....the throttle response is definitely different than the 28i. The 35i is more fun when you floor it, but at partial throttle to my butt dyno it feels like the 28i zips along just as quick. At high RPM's when that turbo is fully spooled and jammin along, the 35i comes alive over the 28i, but given mileage differences, price differences, and most importantly that old 6spd tranny vs the new 8spd...I just dont know if its worth it.

We can likely get the best deal on the R-design, which also makes it attractive. We both like them all, but prefer the X1, and i have no idea regarding the 28i vs 35i. Im talking to their service guy today to see if there are any performance options/chips/parts BMW will be making available that will maintain the warranty. That may be a deciding factor - if we can bump up the 28i to feel more like the 35i in terms of full throttle zoom...it may seal the deal.
Appreciate 0