View Single Post
      09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Hey Rory,
This is all very subjective but here's my take. I have a Q5. It's a great car. I have the 3.2 liter 6. It feels heavy. Smooth. On the highway it's a rocket. 60-90 in sports mode is a rush! Handles nicely for a car of that size and stature. I've driven the 2.0 Q5. It's very nice too. Feels much zippier with the 8 speed around town and off the line ... 0-40. Feels light. The ride is not as smooth or sophisticated. But perhaps a little more exciting.

The Evoque seems like a bad-weather baddass. The ground clearance is great for snow. It's a real, 4 wheel drive all the time. For this reason it felt a little squirrely on corners compared to a BMW or Q5. I also believe the tranny will take a beating over time with a 4X wheeler like this. But if you lived in the mountains in the northeast or something this would be the choice. Now this SAV has not been out long, so reliability is a big question mark.

For me the x1 is the perfect mix of both. I'm opting not to get the M version (though it's a bit better looking) because i'd rather have the higher ground clearance for snow and more forgiving ride. After all, the tires on the x1 are pretty low profile to begin with. I think the x1 will feel more responsive than the q5. It's a lot lighter to start... The 35 is nice but the higher mpg, especially down the line when many are expecting $5 a gallon, would bug me. I think you will see a lot of good options from other makers in the next few years. Q3 would be nice to try but who knows if that will ever get here.

Did you look at the audi A3? That's nice in a 2.0. Pretty small though. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
This is all really helpful guys thanks.

Going to go back to test the 28 vs the 35 and make the call from there. If the 35 had the 8spd tranny it'd be a no brainer. So far it's the X1, Q5, or Evoque. Evoque has the best styling (IMO) but is the least fun to drive and the lack of a functioning sunroof blows me away. Q5 has everything we want but is kind of boring, would like to test the new 2013. The X1 really had everything we wanted.
Appreciate 0