View Single Post
      06-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #53
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
ok, let me clear things up so people will understand my son and my situation better. my son just finished his freshman year in high school and he's enrolled in all honors and AP classes. he got straight A's in all his classes except a B in AP Geography (which equates to a normal A) and a B in Drivers Ed (which is very hard and entitles him to not have to do the driving portion when he gets his drivers license). his overall GPA for the year was 4.50 out of 4.00 scale. I was a very good student at his age as well but he's in another league compared to me.

regarding the front windshield tint (hot debate), he only has his permit so when he drives, my wife or myself, will always be with him. if it interferes or he doesn't like it, I will remove it and maybe go with a very light tint that will block out the rays. his car is black and his interior is black also so I want to keep his car cool as possible. unlike his dad, he's a very calm, by-the-speed limit type of driver so I'm not concerned about his driving. in fact, sometimes I have to tell him to speed up a little to keep up with flow of traffic.

he never asked me for a car or to mod it but I believe he deserves it for being a great son and doing so well in school. I enjoy modding cars so I asked him and he said: "Sure, I don't care but just don't go crazy (find my build thread for my M4 'vert, lol)". nothing I have done is irreversible so relax people and just enjoy life

It sounds like you are a great dad and you are raising a fine son. There's absolutely nothing wrong in my mind giving a kid a nice safe reliable car as their first ride. So, good for you. You've tricked it out so he will get more than his share of attention over it, but he will figure out a way to handle that. My only hesitation is the windshield tint. But you are aware of it and have a plan to change it if it doesn't work out.

Just know that buying kids neat cool things doesn't change your relationship with them at all. Based on your comments I am pretty sure you know that you cannot buy love or respect. It sounds like you have that covered already.

In my case, I handed my first BMW down to my son as a gift. He was thrilled. I told him it was the last car I would buy for him so he'd better figure out a way to take care of it and not abuse it because the next one is on him. I did the same for my daughter. They both started in very nice cars but they also learned something about responsibility in the process.
Appreciate 1
-JLT-3452.50