View Single Post
      01-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #34
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Here's my unsolicited advise. You will learn more and be better skilled by doing instead of studying. I went to a well known trade school that cost a LOT($30k for 9 months of tuition). That school put ME(not every student) in a position to get hired into BMW apprenticeship. That apprenticeship hires 8 techs/year and lasts 9 months. So 18 months of school, a degree and full factory certification. Still didn't have experience in the field. Now I was 40 and couldn't afford the time it would take to be experienced. 80% of tech school grads never work in their field of training.

The reason I suggested the Navy is you get paid while in training and you are immediately accumulating experience. Experience has WAY more value than training. If the armed service just isn't for you, get into an apprenticeship that puts you in the field. What you can DO is much more valuable than what you know.

30 is a good age to get experienced. Old enough to be serious and dedicated to your chosen trade, but young enough to have a long career. Remember time waits for no man. It is challenging to jump into something new, but once you have jumped it becomes much easier to see the opportunities that are available.
Appreciate 2
Beartato881.50
nyalpine907433.00