View Single Post
      07-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #11
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Sure! My car had about 22k miles on it when it started. It only made noise when fully warmed up.

It started a medium pitched whine at about 32mph. Any gear. It continued up to about 40mph then it either quiets down or is drowned out by road noise.

To give you an idea, it sounds like a 1963 Chevy pickup with a 3 on the tree. Straight cut gears. When dropping off the gas you get that kind of shuddering whine like cutting the gas on that truck in 1st gear.

They confirmed my complaint and followed the listed process. Replaced the mount, clocked the driveshaft 180 degrees, then changed the fluid. No changes. Finally they replaced the transfer case which eliminated the noise.

When I picked it up, it was quiet as a mouse. After driving home about 40 miles, it was back, sort of. It was much higher pitched and was present from 0mph up to 40mph.

I did take the X1 on our vacation and after about 2200 miles of driving, it is back to it's exact same sound. I got 24.4 MPG average on the whole trip. 20.9 mpg worst tank, 29.8 the best tank.

I took it straight back and they had a field engineer come out and tell me that it is normal.

Now as an engineer, I can tell you that is not a normal noise for a gearless transfer case. Our T case from what I can tell has viscous couplings with 2 wet discs. Bearings yes.

I have driving 10 X Drive cars now as loaners and none of them make that noise. I also polled a few people on the board here and they also report that this is not a noise theirs makes.

I conclude that it was not the transfer case, but maybe a tail shaft misalignment? The T case connects to the transmission directly and is not divorced. Who knows?

I am guessing BMW NA decided to stop throwing money at it.

Also to report on the process, I sent the contract to my AG's office and they seem to think it is fair. It is not itemized like they would have asked for. But they did run the numbers through their process and told me that the amount is more than what they would have asked for via arbitration.
Appreciate 0