Thread: Potential Buyer
View Single Post
      12-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
JNPatsch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi A4

Potential Buyer

Hello all, my name is Jed; new to the forums and looking to get my girlfriend into a 2013 xdrive 28i x1 with 61,xxx miles. The car is at BMW and we checked it out this past Sunday and really liked the car so much we put a deposit down. The car has yet to go through service as it was just recently traded in and we are awaiting a call back. Car comes with a 6 month warranty from BMW as well as a Brake, oil changes and wiper warranty the previous owner had purchased that would then be active until next November. Anyhow I decided I should probably look into things further to see how the reliability is before we actually pull the trigger and purchase the vehicle. Looking a lot on the forums and all over google and seems like the timing chain tensioner/ guides seems to be a real downfall on these cars and the n20 engine. Is this problem really that widespread or is it just the select few who have reported the problem? I know BMW has extended a warranty on the chain until 70,000 miles but that’s only good for another 9,000 on this particular car. I come from owning mostly Volkswagen and Audi’s and can work on cars myself but like to try and avoid it if I can. I know the plastic timing parts are in all makes and models so that doesn’t really scare me it’s just the what if part. Has anyone done this job themselves? How much did it cost you in parts? Also do you have to pull the motor or can it stay in for the job? Might try to work something out with BMW where they extend a warranty on just the chain and corresponding parts or get a good deal on a service plan.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a pic to intrigue some action here

Last edited by JNPatsch; 12-18-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0