Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
To be fair, I was actually looking forward to driving the X1 given some of the more positive reviews by the press after its launch. The X1 was also on my radar lately because I have been considering picking up a wagon as a DD to keep miles off the M. Regardless, I can see how most would think I am directly comparing the two models. Quite the opposite in fact. I was purely looking at the X1 as a total package, and frankly expected more from BMW. One poster mentioned the sport seats offer much better support. I would be interested to try these as the standard seats are my main point of contention.
Hi M3Carbon,

I understand you haven't started to shop around. As others have pointed out, it isn't fair at all to compare the X1 with your M3 in any respect. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but your expectations were obviously not adjusted if all you've been driving around is your M3. I believe the reason why so many people, including magazine editors and bloggers, have given the X1 such high marks for driving dynamics is because in the compact SUV/Crossover category, it simply is the best thing out there.

You drove a loaner car that comes pretty much stripped and has been treated for what it is: a loaner! You know how that goes. What you saw isn't typical of the fuel efficiency and the comfort features this car can offer. As you already know being part of the brand, at BMW you do pay extra to accessorize the car to match "your" level of comfort -- whatever that it is.

At this time, you owe it to yourself to go outside the brand. Please test-drive a bunch of vehicles in the same class category: Acura RDX, Infiniti EX, Volvo XC60, VW Tiguan, Audi Q5, Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback, Mini Countryman and even the BMW X3. Then come back to the X1 again. Many of these vehicles come standard with AWD while the basic X1 is RWD. Keep that in mind and try to stick to paved roads for fair driving dynamics. I would not be surprised that, even with the most basic RWD X1, that you will change your recent opinion. Also, try the different iterations with different seats, engines, steering (try electric first to compare with other brands), xDrive, etc.

So many magazine/blog reviewers (well, except maybe Consumer Reports) can't be wrong about this vehicle. The X1 offers the most fun while still being utilitarian and the pricing isn't terrible.
Chris,

Thanks for the insightful response. In retrospect I probably did not frame up my post very well by stating I was an M owner. Perhaps I was skewed by the drastic transition between the two vehicles. I am still interested in driving another one with the options others have mentioned. I agree that a more direct comparison with other segment vehicles will give me a better feel for the X1. I'm also considering older 3 series wagons or even (gulp) an A4 avant. The M is obviously deficient at lugging around my mountain/road bikes so this segment really interests me as a DD.

Thanks!

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0