View Single Post
      03-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #93
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
You're missing e85. With downpipe it has more horsepower than a stock M3, and even without downpipe it puts down essentially equivalent rwhp with a M3 (you lose about 20hp). On map 5 (e85 autoadjust map) it puts down 389rwhp and 479lbft torque. Just a tune and chargepipe will run you about $500-600 (JB4 can be had new at discount). A lot of these developments are recent so I understand if a lot of M3 owners aren't aware of them; most gains were realized in the last couple of months with the advent of the ISO firmware (isolated boost control) for the JB4.

Here's one for a stock M3:

Again, I'm absolutely not saying the X1 is a better car than the M3. M3 is faster around the track, has a nicer interior, is probably more reliable stock, etc, etc, etc. All I'm trying to say is that a lightly modded X1 is more than competitive in a straight line (and only in a straight line) with a STOCK M3. The dyno's speak for themselves.

I get that it's cute to cross post the thread and have a self-congratulatory circle jerk that your M3 is a better car than an entry level X1 that costs HALF as much, but what you're not getting is that never once did I try to compare the X1 with any aspect of the clearly superior M3 other than straight line performance.

But hey, if this is cross posted at the M3 forum, I'll call you out. If there is a stock M3 that is willing to race me at Edgewater Raceway in Cincinnati, I'll buy you dinner whether I win or lose and we'll videotape it and have a good time.

Any takers?
Easy dude - this is an enthusiast forum where performance axioms are always going to be the subject of spirited discussion.

On that, I still don't really understand your claim that a car running a Stage 2, Map 1 (or 2) with or w/o a DP is making 425hp... or how a dyno of a rw car with an IC, CP, DP, tune and extremely aggressive 50/50 mix of E85 (and do I read a WW kit as well?) is a 'lightly modded'... it's impressive nonetheless. I'm really surprised how much power Terry was able to extract from that little snail, especially after all of the dire statements made when he first dissected it.

That said, I think you might be giving folks the wrong impression. An N55 with Stage 2, map 1 (even with a charge pipe, or even DP on map 2) - while very quick and a heck of a bargain, isn't going to walk any car with 400+hp.

As for me, I really liked my E90 N55... but the power felt too manufactured, non-linear (downshifting was an exercise - at least compared to an M3) and the prospect of making real power meant (at least to me) jeopardizing my warranty and losing sleep over what I was doing to the car, long-term.

For sport, I would very much like to see this race, tuned 135i, tuned X1 and stock M3 to the 1/4mile. Oh and you should run best 2/3, with short intervals in between

With an IC, my money is on the 135i.
Appreciate 0