View Single Post
      05-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #46
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

Actually, I have had a 35i loaner for the past 3 days and I feel that I can compare the two very well ( i also can compare the transmissions, having the 8 speed in our of our X3 35i with the n55+ 8 speed set up in a similar architecture. The loaner strangely was fully loaded and identical in every way to my own exempt that it was in mineral grey instead alpine weiß(both had 19' alloys, ultimate package, //M-sport, coral red leather, brushed 'aluminum', auto high beams, heated seats, however, my X1 was a victim of the 'paddle-gate' and thus does not have paddles while the loaner did). Also, my car has about 12k miles whereas the loaner had about 1300.

First there are some physical differences , the exhaust tips on the 35i are 12mm larger in diameter than those of the 28i. The tachometer on the 35i goes to 8K whereas the 28i goes to 7.5k (no difference in redline, just larger red zone) and the 35i has an oil temp gauge while the 28i has consumption. The brakes are significantly larger on the 35i. The Shifter is a more archaic and must be placed into park and stays in the selected position while the 28i's stays in the centre and can place itself into park, and is illuminated.

Second, the feels while driving: the transmissions are rather different, the older 6 speed is adequate but shifts from the paddles come after about 1/3 of a second and are sluggish at best, compared to the near DCT response and quick gear changes of the new 8 speed of the 28i and X3 35i. Several times in M sport mode I found myself waiting on the 35i to serve me a gear while I was hitting and churning past redline, sometimes even to the limiter before the gearbox would shift. What this reminded me of was Jeremy Clarkson of Top gear UK reviewing the Maserati GT MC and remarking how the gearbox could not even remember that it was a gear box, more things like cake, or a pencil (I am someone who is used to driving the zf 8speed and DCTs). The brake peddle on the 35i feels much better and is much softer and smoother with what feels like more linear braking, presumably because of the larger brakes. The gas peddle feels the same with its heavy weight and laggy, unlinear response. The 35i, being a straight 6, is perfectly balanced and there was no vibration anywhere (I drove up to about 80mph), the sound is classical and smooth and sounds like any other modern n55 BMW. The N20 is rougher sounding and in operation (not necessarily a bad thing) and there is significant turbo lag and the spool up can be felt, an heard, from 1600- 2000 rpm, the car always has a subtle buzz in the steering wheel because of the unbalanced engine architecture but is not very noticeable in the rest of the car. And yes, from start up and to about 2500 rpm, it does sound like a turbo-diesel… somehow (direct injection?). The extra weight and balance of the 35i from the 28i (3891lbs compared to 3726 and a balance of 52.1/47.9% and 50.6/49.4%, respectively) does change the agility of the car. Also, the 35i has servotronic, which my car does not. the 28i's steering is light and agile while being firm and crisp while the 35i's feels like the f25 or any other modern BMW, electronically over-boosted. Also, with the extra wight being forward of the front axle it gets more 'under-steer-y' where as the 28i is arguably front- mid engine with little weight beyond the from axle.

All things considered it is very hard to decide which I like better but i come down to taste. The price difference between the to are minor, ~45k to ~47k (28i v 35i) USD and the mileage was similar, I average with a combination of country and urban 23 and 19 mpg overall (28i and 35i). 28i is a light, agile, heavily turbocharged, wagon with its strengths in the gearbox and weight distribution. The 35i is a heavier, plowing, brute who overcomes its weaknesses with brute force and so many torques. I hope this is helpful to any people on the fence!

Regards,
Trevakun

Last edited by Tayrevey; 05-01-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0