View Single Post
      05-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
rchendesign
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Steering Wheel Knocking Sound at Low Speed (Repair Update)

I posted a tread earlier about a steering wheel knocking sound problem on my new X1.
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=15703030

Here are some updates. I appreciate any opinions on this!

I went to the dealership several times to try to fix it, but failed. At the last time, they got an engineer from BMWUSA to help with it. They replaced several parts with another X1, but didn't fix it. They also found it happened on other X1 as well (only xDrive version). So, they stated that it was a normal design and couldn't be fixed.

I'm confused here... In my opinion, the steering wheel on a new car should be smooth and quiet. Since the noise is quite annoying to me, can they just say it's a normal design? How do they define a 'problem' or a 'normal design'?

Another thing is, they have temporarily fixed it once by replacing the steering spindle. Can a normal design be 'fixed' by replacing anything?

Here are some documentation of the repairs...

1 (Jan21, 2014)
Problem Statement: Knocking noise coming from steering wheel area when driving at low speed
Explanation: Steering spindle bottom worn
Repair: Replaced lower steering spindle
Result: Temporarily fixed the problem, but happened again in 2 months.
2 (Mar28, 14)
Problem Statement: There is a knocking noise in the steering wheel at low speed that you can hear and feel
Explanation: Found noise from the steering rack. Steering rack is on back order. Customer will return for repair.
3 (Apr23, 14)
Problem Statement: Steering wheel knocking noise problem.
Explanation:
Repair: Replaced steering rack. Installed new crush seals for the power steering lines.
Result: Didn’t fix the problem at all.
4 (May2, 14)
Problem Statement: Steering wheel knocking noise problem.
Explanation: This is a normal design and there is no repair.
Result: Didn’t fix the problem at all.
Appreciate 0