02-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #61
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The first point was a general statement on the stigma of 4 cylinder engines associated to economy cars or inferior Japanese imports late 20th century. Most people don't want to pay premium for product with perceived inferiority. As much as this may sound ignorant or illogical, car purchase is most often emotional decision.

Second point is that BMW is powering a SUV with only 230hp that weights 3300 unladen, which is lethargic even compared against a lowly Honda v6 Accord. (Remember BMW owners wants to buy a superior product than those owned by proletarians) In addition, SUV is suppose to carry and haul. 4 adults in a X1 means 230hp is used to push near 4000lbs of weight, hardly exhilarating.

Don't matter. You are the smart one but think how many fanboys on BMW forums point to 4 cylinders as sore point of Asian imports. Recall how many disparaging comment on Audi's 2.0T when it first came out. It's all about perception for 90% of luxury car buyer. Tell me the truth, you think there's more BMW owner like you than owners who bought it for the brand or the 6-8 cylinder under the hood.

Don't get me wrong, this is a technologically advance engine. May even win BMW few awards but try to beat that 4 cylinder engine image is HARD.
I really should not rise to the bait...but what the hell.

Again Sir, I assume you are making a sweeping statement that there is a stigma against 4cyl in the USA . It certainly is not the case elswhere in the world. In fact Europe (and elsewhere) has generally moved away from from 6/8-cyl petrol cars in the small to medium segment. There are many reasons for this but will only name a few:

1. They are expensive to run (our fuel is now $13 per gallon)
2. They are dirty, ie high emissions on which many countries now tax drivers
3. They very often attract luxury taxes
4. They offer no advantage what so ever over the more modern 4cyl's.

Now the car manufacturers know this and as a result the development of large capacity 6/8 cyl engines has all but been stopped. Of course there are exceptions like Ferrari, Porsche etc but even they are eyeing smaller capacity alternatives. If the American consumer thinks these high performance 4cyl's are "girly" or "not smooth enough" or "not big enough" they are in for a wee surprise. All manufacturers (except some well publicised USA dinosaurs) are going this way. Although I would hazard a guess Sir that your views are not entirely representative of the majority of drivers in NA either.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0