View Single Post
      02-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #47
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
With all due respect this is a stupid post.

Are you referring to the fact that the Turbo 4 has a small displacement? Could you please elaborate on what the weight of the car has to do with the displacement?
The first point was a general statement on the stigma of 4 cylinder engines associated to economy cars or inferior Japanese imports late 20th century. Most people don't want to pay premium for product with perceived inferiority. As much as this may sound ignorant or illogical, car purchase is most often emotional decision.

Second point is that BMW is powering a SUV with only 230hp that weights 3300 unladen, which is lethargic even compared against a lowly Honda v6 Accord. (Remember BMW owners wants to buy a superior product than those owned by proletarians) In addition, SUV is suppose to carry and haul. 4 adults in a X1 means 230hp is used to push near 4000lbs of weight, hardly exhilarating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Your comment makes no sense, however, since this engine will offer performance that is as good or better than the naturally aspirated inline 6 it replaces. Also, there is no Civic or Focus with anwhere near 250hp, nor with a turbocharged engine in the US, although there will be the Focus ST Ecoboost in a year's time.
Don't matter. You are the smart one but think how many fanboys on BMW forums point to 4 cylinders as sore point of Asian imports. Recall how many disparaging comment on Audi's 2.0T when it first came out. It's all about perception for 90% of luxury car buyer. Tell me the truth, you think there's more BMW owner like you than owners who bought it for the brand or the 6-8 cylinder under the hood.

Don't get me wrong, this is a technologically advance engine. May even win BMW few awards but try to beat that 4 cylinder engine image is HARD.

Last edited by Robert; 02-18-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0