View Single Post
      07-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I had these same issues. It actually started happening more frequently over the course of a few weeks. I searched the different bmw forums for information and the one that I tried to exclude was weak battery/electrical. Sure enough, my alternator was putting out 12.8V or so with the car running. Even after a long drive, I would hook my battery charger up and with the car off, it would read 12.3V and 30% or less charge. However, I never had issues starting the car up. Finally after following the situation for 2 weeks, I went to the dealer. After doing diagnostics, the dealer said nothing was wrong. I couldn't believe it and asked to tech to sit in the car while I unlocked dash and showed the battery voltage. I couldn't believe it but the alternator was putting out 13.3-14.3V. WTF! THe tech said he didn't do anything. Since that time, alternator voltage has been normal and no further "DSC, 4x4 malfunctions"/limp modes have popped up.

So if this happens to you, check your electrical system.
When I put a scangaugeII on my X1 s28i, I discovered battery was charging at about 14.7 all the time until after a 600 mile road trip.

Then, battery would be charged up, and go back to normal mode of NO Charging until you let off gas.

So, you were lucky and drive car enough to make it work right, and I don't drive enough.

Your car stays around the normal battery charge of 12.8 and mine the charging state of 14.7.

Your situation seems better than mine.

Plug in a Scangauge and you can watch it start charging as a braking effect when you use brakes.

You don't wanna know what a new one costs, so never run it down.
Appreciate 0