View Single Post
      10-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Or, to put it another way, you can trim and soup up an Alfa-Romeo to beyond Maserati level, and put a Maserati steering wheel in it, but that doesn't make it a Maserati.
Aside from the fact that BMW M is really not nearly as separate as they used to be, and the M sport X1 35i absolutely has several components developed by the M division including the suspension and DTC programming, you probably picked about the worst possible example. The 8C is literally a Maserati. How do I know?

My father has one, and the dealer sells both. The Alfa is even built at the Maserati factory. Same engine, same drivetrain, etc, etc etc. Don't take my word for it though - go drive them. I have.

Once again, I'm not saying the X1 35i is technically an M car. I don't even have an M badge on mine. All I'm saying is that the only difference between a JB4 35i M sport and a theoretical X1 M is the badge on the back. If someone was going to slap an M badge on a BMW, this would be the most logical one to do so. After all, it already has 6 of them on the damn car.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-21-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0