View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
surfsup613
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 sDrive28i

I have an sdrive28i, 2015 X1, just passed 70k and I had the exact same valve cover leaking and dripping onto the hot exhaust. It was becoming a big concern and I was worried it was going to catch on fire at some point with enough oil leaking. Really disappointing to have to do this at 68k miles!

As many of you know, now that the entire valve cover is plastic (not aluminum like it used to be) it is imperative to replace the ENTIRE valve cover, not just the gasket. Of all the places to use plastic, I ask you BMW, WHYYYY?!?!?!

Anyways, I was able to successfully replace the entire valve cover myself. It was not a job for a beginner, however, I have done more difficult, this is maybe a 6/10 for difficulty. It was critical to prepare for every step of this job, excellent DIY's can be found on this forum and Youtube. You MUST have a mini ratcheting torx wrench to remove the bolts holding the vacuum pump on the back of the engine, there is very little room, so got one on Amazon for $10 and this was a must have tool to complete the job.

Also it is very important that the engine is manually cranked to dead low center point before re-installing the high pressure fuel pump. Failure to do this can break the HPFP spring when you start the engine.

Long story short, I did it myself, but I can understand those that are not comfortable doing this job, and having a mechanic do it. Either way, these E84's are great cars but the plastic valve cover thing is just idiotic, another example of them not caring at all about longevity/reliability and using plastic where metal would not have this problem.

I hope this can help someone else!

Helpful Links:
DIY:https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1700714
DIY video:

Other DIY Video:

High pressure fuel pump re-install video

Wrench on amazon to get:https://www.amazon.com/KAIFNT-Screwd...377366&sr=8-10
Appreciate 0