04-30-2024, 03:53 PM   #67
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Best Motoring

I've owned my E36 M3 for 20+ years now (it even outstayed my E46 M3). I encourage some of you to go drive these hero cars and see how they hold up vs what you remember. Prepare for disappointment.
Ugh i hate to open this can of worms but this happened to my father and I at a ford dealership. He was looking at buying a Roush so I took the ride with. They had an e39 M5 on the lot which the salesperson swore I would sell my F10 M5 for at the time or that my father would forgo the Roush and get the M5. After hearing about this car for the entirety of my life, we both took turns test-driving it with high expectations. My father and I both agreed the F10 comparison was joke. I think this would be like comparing a Super Nintendo to a PS5, The SNES was/is great, had great games and reminds me of my childhood and good times but of course the PS5 is better in every measurable way. Neither my father or I had any prior experience with the e39, so it was just performance to performance, and it wasn't even a question. Not to poo poo on the e39, I couldn't care less about car loyalty but every time I hear "BeSt M5", I just cringe when I think back at that test drive and compare it to a modern M. Great for its time, I'll take people's word for it... have we moved on to bigger and better things? Absolutely.
Appreciate 2
mirob3190.50
mjj194.00