View Single Post
      03-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #21
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
At one point in oz you could get a spare wheel holder on the rear door for the x5. I've also seen a photo of a mini that had fabricated a spare wheel carrier that was in a similar spot.
Not sure yet if I'll get the x1 or x3 but I'm considering adapting something to carry a spare wheel in the same spot based on a bike carrier later this year. Will let you know if it works out.
I have thought of that as a possibility, but from experience with 4WD's I'd be really cautious about adding weight to the rear door. Longterm I'd reckon the door alignment could be affected leading to hinge problems and rubbing on the door frame duco - stripping it and bareing the metal...rust? thedoor's probably not engineered for it and apart from the passive load, you could imagine the effective weight of the wheel every time you go even over a speed hump much less offroad.
I much prefer the idea of a wheel carrier that is linked to the rear bumper, but don't know if that's even possible with an x1 and if it is it means you'd need to swing it away before you open the door each time.
Even though BMW produced the carrier for the X5 it may not mean it's necessarily a good idea.
Appreciate 0