View Single Post
      11-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Winter snow 18 or 17 ...

We have 8"x18" wheels square set up with stock Pirelli all-season RFTs and I am trying to figure out the best route for some snow tires. I am thinking about picking up a second set of wheels.

One route is a used set of stagger 8"x18" and 9"x18" which are the same style as the current wheels (so would then have 6 - 8"x18" and 2 - 9"x18"). I would use the 8"x18" for winter and the others for the summer.

Pros - similar wheels, could keep one in the trunk as a spare when needed.

Cons - would need two new summer tires for 9"x18" as I do not think it would be wise to stretch the rft 225/45/18 on to the 9"x18".

My other option is a set of 7"x17" or 7.5"x17" wheels and go with 215/50 tires.

Pros - slightly narrower tire for the winter.

Not really any cons that I can think about other than another set of wheels. But I have storage space if I got a spiffy tire rack mounted.

How much of an advantage would there be in going with the staggered wheels for the summer? Though currently all season RFT I would probably go to non RF at some point.

I could also punt and see how the car does this winter as it has all season tires but it is the wife's car ...

I would appreciate feed back from folks as my search gave a bit of help but still left me stuck.
Appreciate 0