View Single Post
      10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
I'm set on getting an X1, will do ED (Too late to do it before Winter so it will be next April/May). First BMW.

Problem is I want Xenon lamps (for better visibility at night, not for the look).

If I got the xDrive28i I'd opt for panaramic roof, cold weather, and paddles, then (unfortuntely) have to get premium pkg to get Lights, so that's ED$34060
If I got the xDrive35i I'd just add cold weather and paddles (As it comes with the panaramic roof already), ED$34450.

Pro's and cons to either model....

I wouldn't look forward to less mpg from the 35i but the extra HP could be fun once in a while. Less gadgets to break w/o the premium package could be a plus.

On the 28i the only premium package item I'd care for is the exterior rearview mirrors that dim. Driver seat memory is just something else that could break imho (No idea how reliable it is on a bmw, but I plan on keeping this car 10-20 years if possible like my other cars). We're expecting kids soon so I'd almost think leatherette could be better than leather (maybe I'm wrong, never had leather in a car before or kids

My main reason for the X1 is I want a good crossover with driving performance in mind. I couldn't care much less about luxury and gadgets will always get outdated fast. I'm the only one that drives the car so manual seats are perfectly fine for me. I drive less than 8k miles a year too, but when I drive I like to enjoy the drive (I live in a rural area).

I see two paths, the petrolhead in me says go for the 35i for the 'top' level name but the practical side says go 28i and hope the power seats and premium package gadgets don't break in 10-20 years and you'll get the rear dimming mirrors which is something I did want.

I am curious what some of you who have more experience with the BMW brand would say for this situation?

Thanks,
The power seats could break but I don't think that would be an item that is outrageous to fix. And I actually think there is a decent shot, they would last for the life of the car if you aren't adjusting them often. But the 28i would have more items that could break and be costly to fix including auto start stop if you are using that and perhaps comfort access.

Other then engine/electronics, the item that I'd be most concerned with actually having to repair is the moonroof. Based upon what I've read, it can be very expensive in certain circumstances. So expensive that some people decide to limit the functionality in the repaired moonroof to dramatically cut down on the repair costs. Every moonroof is probably a bit different so I don't know about the X1's.

But I will say this, I'd estimate the X1 28i to be less expensive over the next 10 years but not by a significant amount since the repair costs on this model should be higher based upon how you would be ordering it. The 28i should have the advantage in insurance costs and fuel economy costs. But the leather seats on the 28i won't hold up as well long term as the leatherette and they will have to be maintained. In addition, if you are keeping the car 10-20 years, you may be better off with the non turbo engine.

To be fair, most turbos today are made in such a way that they should be good for 160,000 miles but the N20 isn't as proven over the long term as BMW's 6 cylinder engine without a turbo.

I would certainly test drive both cars and if you like the 35i driving characteristics more which you probably will, go for it as long as you expect to drive less then around 10,000 miles per year. In general, reviewers think the 28i is the better deal but your circumstances are different in that you are 1) keeping the car for a long time whereby not having the turbo engine could be a slight advantage at least 2) doing ED where the savings are greater on the 35i 3) not driving tons of miles.
Appreciate 0