View Single Post
      06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

I think it is interesting that people keep saying that the Harmon Kardon system is dissapointing. I find it to be pretty darn good for a OEM stereo. Certainly not as good as Audi and some others offer with their B&O option, but pretty good none the less.

Also, whoever says that the surround option ruins stereo music is not stating the facts correctly. My 2013 X1 with the HK upgrade doesn not change the sound one bit when toggling the surround on and off. It actually does nothing unless you feed the system a surround compatible track. For example, I have a couple of concert DVD's as well as the Audio RIPPED from some concert DVD's and on those, the difference is night and day. Love it or hate it, the surround on mine only works when it is supposed to.

Also, the bass does leave a bit to be desired....specifically, there is too much mid bass (between 100hz and 200hz)....The EQ can help tame this a little, but it will always be an issue. Not horrible mind you, but it is there. Lastly, there absolutely is reasonable output below 50hz....actually down to about 35hz (verified by a test CD) which covers the vast majority of music most people listen to.....definitely flutters the pant legs. That said, the system does restrict the bass as you turn the volume up, so as to preserve the woofers under the front seats. I wish it didn't do it so agressively, bbut it is a pretty impressive system considering the tiny amount of vehicle space that is dedicated to "subwoofers"

I'm glad I upgraded, because compared to the HK, the base system is nearly un-listenable.
Appreciate 0