View Single Post
      09-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #32
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I'm not all squashed up, I just need an upright seating position or else I get terrible back pain after about 5 minutes of driving. Most of my previous cars were 2 seat sports cars, but I can't drive those anymore due to my bad back.

So when I was shopping for a car, my goal was to get a car that is as close to a sports car as possible, but with the upright seating position.

I guess the seat has a lot of vertical travel. My biggest issue with most regular cars is not that the seat does not go high enough, but I'm 6 ft tall and I would have no head room in most cars with the seat in a higher position. In the X1 I have the seat most of the way up, and still have plenty of head room. I also have the seat most of the way back as well, and the steering wheel is in the highest and most telescoped position. I am very comfortable and have plenty of room, but yes there is not much rear seat room. But that doesn't matter to me. I'd buy a 2 seater if they made something I found comfortable.

I think the X1 is the best bang for the buck in this segment, but there are nicer cars that can be had for more money. If money were no object, I think the Porsche Macan would be calling my name, or maybe even the new GLA45 AMG.
Lol, I love these reviews! They are keeping the X1 a "secret" all the better!
I just read the comments on TFLcar about the X1. They complain about the price being almost $50k on the test car and ask what it competes against.
Short answer? Nothing.
I did my homework. My well equipped, deliberately base trim, 35i XDrive has all the performance and was MSRP at $45k. Stock it is faster than a Porsche Cayenne GTS and BMW's own X3 (330pounds heavier) and the X5 (except the M).
With my warrantied Dinan stage 2 I was out the door for under $45k with 355 hp, 400tq, and 3890 pounds. That puts it faster than a Macan S or a GLA 45 AMG. Both those cars are over $20k more! The Macan Turbo same "build" spec, about double the cost!

No small SUV can touch it for performance with a warranty near that price. Sub 5 second 0-60 and low 13 quarter mile for $45k as a SAV?? No comparison I could find...

Not a raving fanboy, let me know of any SUV that is faster, for even close to that money, with a warranty...

Yes, the 335i sedan is faster, but at almost $10k more without the utility. The SAV has enough clearance to plow through snow and not crunch itself at speed over dips and other obstructions in daily "sporting" drives. Plus the extra room and higher view (nice for traffic) compared to a sedan.
If you don't want an SAV/SUV, get a sporty car (lighter/faster). My 2cents.
Appreciate 0