View Single Post
      09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I tried Googling re-formatting the SanDisk and couldn't find anything helpful. I am not super-techy so unless I have simple instructions, re-formatting is not going to happen.
Simple-ish instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://techchannel.radioshack.com/reformat-sd-card-1663.html
Windows 7 contains two utilities for formatting your SD card: Disk Management and Windows Explorer. Disk Management is found by typing "disk management" in the Start menu's search bar and pressing "Enter." Its formatting utility is launched by right-clicking the SD card and selecting "Format." Windows Explorer is found by clicking "Start," then "Computer." Likewise, right-clicking the SD card and select "Format" launches the formatting utility. Both utilities let you change the file format and label the card. Unselecting "Quick Format" overwrites any data during the reformatting procedure, but it takes longer.
File System

The biggest consideration when reformatting your SD card is the file system you wish to use. If you're formatting the SD card in a peripheral device, this isn't an option; the device chooses the best format. However, in Windows 7, you need to choose between NTFS and one of the FAT systems. If the SD card will only be used within Windows, NTFS is the best choice. For compatibility between Windows, peripheral devices and Mac computers, use FAT or FAT32. If the card capacity is 64GB or greater, use exFAT. Doing so maintains compatibility with Windows and Mac computers, but you lose peripheral device compatibility. However, exFAT does not suffer the same 4GB file size limit of the FAT32 system.
And - just noticed that Chris's post actually includes a link to how to reformat using Mac

To clarify: The user manual recommends FAT 32

Last edited by EpistemicConfusion; 09-30-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0