View Single Post
      07-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #68
pbodifee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
I think I qualify to be one of those who do true "city" driving as we live in the same city. Hope my numbers will make you feel "better".

My commute is only about 23 miles return daily and only 7 miles of that are over 60mph. I am in my 30th tank and avg speed is 24.8miles (40km), avg 22.1mpg (10.8L/100) by on board computer. My own calculation shows 20mpg (11.76L/100). That's right, not even getting the City EPA, off by 30% by my calculation, left alone the Hwy EPA. I am trying to change my driving style (coast more) and see if it makes any difference.
We don't use the car for commute, only errands, shopping, driving the kids to school and their activities. We live in the downtown core, so you can imagine my avg speed less then 25 km/h. My Garmin also tells me I am stopped 50% of the time. So the ASS was certainly a feature I was hoping to give some relief.

Quote:
Vancouver might claimed to be a world class city but not when it comes to road system comparing to the US. Vancouver's highway speed (2 lane wide is common) isn't that high most of the time due to traffic, and those live in the city tends to just travel within the city to get all things done. All I really wanted was to high the city EPA.
I believe that Vancouver is a world class city because the city isn't destroyed with a 'high speed' road system. On the other hand some work needs to be done to accomodate left turners and coordinating traffic lights between pedestrians and cars

Quote:
Low file consumption surely should't be the main decision factor when one purchased a BMW. However, EPA to Performance ratio certainly is on most people's mind. I think it's fair to expect the vehicle to perform up to spec within a reasonable tolerance. I think the Prius drivers would also be unhappy if 0-60 takes 18 sec. even they never expect the car to fly.
Low fuel consumption was never my 1st priority, although it is becoming more important with increasing fuel prices. My gripe with the German cars being shipped to the NA market is that we can only get to 'chose' from gas guzzlers.

On the flip side: I recently made some road trips (Harison Lake, Okanagan Lake) and was pleasantly surprised with highway fuel consumption.
The trip to Harison Lake showed a fuel consumption of 7.7l/100km (30.5 mpg) when driving a secondary highway (70-90 km/h) and 8.8l/100km (26.7 mpg) on the TransCanada Highway (100-120 km/h). Not bad for a 2L turbo with 240hp!

The trip to the Okanagan showed an avg of 9.8 l/100km (24 mpg) and that while doing an average of 115 km/h (72 mph) through the Cascade mountains. For those not familiar: One way this is almost 400km (250mi) of which 265km (165mi) is mountains with a total 4360m (14295ft) ascent and 4046m (13265ft) descent. Not bad for a car fully loaded with camping gear and a family. The drive was a joy as the X1 ride is much more car like then X3 we had.

PS Some one suggested not to use cruise control in mountain driving. I found the cruise control very effective on down hill stretches. No braking needed, and obviously almost no fuel consumption!
Appreciate 0