View Single Post
      01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

When deciding between the 28i and 35i I was torn because of supposed gas mileage. In my 35i I wind up getting about 25mpg on the highway and 18mpg city.

My girlfriend just got a f30 328xi which has the same engine and transmission as the x1 28i...I drove it for a weekend while she's out of town and you know what, I'm SO glad I got the 35i. On the highway I can get 26-27mpg, but in town I can only get around 17-18mpg - identical to my 35i. The reason is, the 28i engine is down in power so much to the 6 cylinder that I feel like I constantly have to floor it to get any acceleration. The instant torque of the 35i allows me to drive quickly and decisively without pressing the throttle to the floor, which results in equivalent city mileage for me.

Is the 28i capable of better mileage than the 35i? Absolutely. Does it get better mileage the way I drive? Absolutely not. Just something to think about. I know I'm never going to change my driving style - if I did, I would get a Toyota or something.
Appreciate 0