View Single Post
      09-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

My first reaction to reading your post was great, at last a discussion about something not related to I Phones or angel eyes (at this point I've annoyed a lot of readers), but rather how a cars performance can be sensibly enhanced. After a lot of consideration I felt it important to raise the following points:

1. An X1's centre of gravity is higher than a normal car so without altering the suspension/lowering the vehical you will be affecting stability.

2. I don't know what BHP you've achieved, but if you take a Porsche Boxster/Cayman as an example it will probably have a similar BHP. The brakes on the Porsche are larger and ventilated for a reason. Because of the X1's weight (heavier) you will have reduced your stopping distance unlesss you have upgraded your brakes.

3. Extra power if used at high rev's will create additional stresses on different components, and produce more heat. The modification that you have mentioned should not in my opinion be done without upgrading the parts most at risk (shell bearings/clutch etc.), and the cooling system.

4. As for insurance should you have an accident and somebody is injured, and your insurance invalidated, how will you feel about having wrecked somebody elses life?

I'm not an engineer but have owned cars such as Cateram Severns, Sunbeam Tigers, Costello MGB's, Audi TT's and a Porsche Boxster S Sport Edition and in my experience a 'chip' power upgrade should be the last thing that you do, and if you can't afford the extra insurance premium don't carry out the modification.
Appreciate 0