View Single Post
      08-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The X1 35i is a phenomenal car

Today was my first full day with the X1, and I put 500 miles on it today. I put it through a long highway trip across the state, and then went up to Oregania, Ohio and some of the motorcycle routes down in northern Kentucky to put it through some intense sweepers, switchbacks, on and of camber turns, and just all around fantastic driving roads.

This is a phenomenal car. I don't car if it's an SUV or a wagon or a hatch or what it is - the bottom line is that it is an absolute, unmitigated blast to drive. For reference, I've extensively driven an Audi Q5 and Infiniti EX35 over the last year, and they simply don't even compare. The Q5 is a bit more refined on the inside (mostly due to the fact that BMW uses hard plastic on the bottom parts of the X1's door), but in terms of driving dynamics it's a knock out win for the X1.

Perhaps it's because I have the M Sport package with the tighter suspension and 19 inch M wheels with Pirelli P-zeros, but the grip is just stupid good. And the torque hits hard and low, powering it out of corners. Sure, there's some understeer when you really push it but it's really hard to believe that you're dragging a wagon body behind you. It seriously feels like a 335, just slightly higher.

I was nervous about the 6 speed transmission at first, but once you drive it you realize that the torque of the 6 cylinder more than makes up for the lack of an 8 speed.

Everything about driving it is just right on for me, from the feeling of the M Sport steering wheel to the great exhaust sound and turbo spooling.

With eco pro on, I got 27.2 mpg on the highway to top it off. So thrilled with this car.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 12-28-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0