View Single Post
      10-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i (E89)

I have only little experience with the X3: I've had a couple of low-end models as loaners from the dealer during service calls, and a friend of ours had one a few years back. My impressions were - at least from those - that it was a clunky SUV that drove like a bit of a boat. Is that no longer so?

The X3 just seems soooo much bigger to me, though, when I looked at the specs that is really not true at all - most of it is in the height (4" more), but only a couple of inches each in length and width.

I do have a line on the X1 M Sport -- but at just shy of $60K it's a hefty price differential over a loaded regular X1 - about $52K as far as I can tell.

I wasn't impressed with the cupholders in the X1, and must admit that I didn't really notice the plastics in the front end -- will look much more closely when next in one!!

Cargo is not a big issue for me -- the kids are grown, though my 6'5" son would be happier in the larger vehicle.

My frustration is more that in a 10 or 15-minute test drive I can't really know a vehicle well enough to decide....and it is difficult to get one for longer than that. Maybe I'll just have to make that a demand and not a request.

I guess it really comes down to this: I'm a driver first and foremost -- which will prove to be the more enduring (fun) drive? (I could, always, just swap my 335i x-drive for a new one, too....albeit an automatic....)
Appreciate 0