View Single Post
      10-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBM View Post
Think some people are just stuck in their ways . Use it and get used to it, it'll save you fuel and peoples health.By the time you put the clutch down and put the car in gear ready to pull away (assuming manual), the car is already restarted. Even with the auto it starts straight away.

it is better if you know the your traffic system well though, so you know when to allow the auto function to stop the engine but even if it stops just before restarting again it does no harm although of course 20+ seconds at rest with engine off would be better.
Darren,

While I agree with you; there have been some major complaints on the F30 boards about the ASS stalling (in the US), which can be a huge problem. On top of that, the system isn't explained in details. In the manual, there are a bunch of checks the system has to go through before it even turns on. It has to be the right temp outside, it has to have the battery charge (however there isn't even an indicator on how long it takes or display of the charge), and etc. I really wish BMW were a bit more detailed on the system.

I'm totally for this; when I drove a F30 demo, I came to a stop, the ASS started, and when I knew I was going to move (by paying attention to my surroundings) I had my foot on my brake, tap the accelerator and the car started up, and I proceeded on.

Ever since I started driving, I always said to myself why can't cars turn off in traffic. It's a complete waste of energy. As more cars start doing this, the better it will become and more people will start to accept it.

In the BMW manual, it also stated it won't engage ASS in rush-hour situations. This is true (at least for me).
Appreciate 0