View Single Post
      10-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
Stop, please you're killing me man. You have a nice, fast car that's great for everyday spirited driving and not in any way shape or form designed for a race track, despite what the 10 M logos might have you believe. I think most brand faithful are appalled at just how far out of their way they've been going to dilute/pimp out the M designation in the name of profit.
Well I agree with some of your points but Im not sure I agree with your assessment of the brand faithful. The days of limited production cars are over. Being a long time BMW collector who has owned everything from the first motorsport car, the 2002 turbo, to the first Alpina colab car, the CSL, I dont necessarily fault BMW for going in that direction. There are plenty of people who want a piece of an M car but cant own a true one because of their specific needs or pocket. I have two small children, dont want an X5M so a X1 with Msport pack gives me that same sporty experience while still being plenty functional. Mercedes has done something similar with AMG.
Soon Mr. Bovensiepen will pass, and Alpina will be consumed by BMW and become their new line of limited specialty cars. I think BMW has purposely cannibalized "motorpsort" with this mind for the future.
Appreciate 0