10-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #26
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Generally this is true, but the M sport also has an M suspension, M-specific DTC and stability control programming that route more power to the rear wheels, M-specific rims with pirelli P-zeros, etc. The difference between the M sport X1 35i and a theoretical X1 M is virtually nothing. Maybe bigger brakes?
The weakest Motorsport (M) model has 444 hp. The US X1 regardless of line/trim has 240 or 300, depending on model.

Then there's the lack of a manual shift (in the US). No, an rpm-restricted ability to shift up or down on an automatic gearbox does not count.

And yes, the brakes on the X1 are a tad underdimensioned, especially for the 300 hp 35i, and the weight distribution isn't exactly Motorsport either.

Calling it an M is pretentious, like adding false embellishments to your name.
The X1 is a great car, and you may be a great person, but adding an ///M badge (or III to your name) just marks you as a wannabe.
Now if you have a window decal or license plate holder that marks you as an M fan, that's different - it doesn't make a claim.

That said, if the claim is as absurd as to clearly fall into parody, it's different. Like the GT emblem I saw on a 2CV, or an old BMW 1600 with Spirit of Ecstasy on the hood.

Be proud of what you have - what you don't have doesn't in any way diminish what you do have.
Appreciate 0