10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #71
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
I’ll share my two cents.

It seems to me that BMW ITSELF feels the car is worthy of the M badge by placing the M badge everywhere inside and outside on the M X1 already.
So on my 135i M sport, it has all the M mark. Does it means the car is M?

Get real. Its just a marketing symbol nothing else.

The fact of matter is 135i Msport shares the same suspension setup (inc spring/shock) with regular 135i with sports package.

Just because it have M shifer, M steering wheel, and M door trim. So my 135i is a M car?

Keep in mind the 1M actually take the rear differential and rear suspension from M3. That should tell you what M car really is.

Quote:

OP - Don’t let some of the arrogance surrounding the M badge turn you away from making your M X1 car look as you want, and/or as unified as you want it to look.

These people can take it up with BMW for M badging the entire car with M except for on the hatch. To many, you are simply making your car look unified.
Its not about arrogance. Its about reality.

M badge does not make the car a M car.

Quote:
Later in the ED trip, in my “M-equipped X1”, I beat and passed a likewise-new ED M5 that I caught up to on the Stelvio Pass, as we both were passing other cars together. He and I later spoke together while waiting for a blocked construction vehicle to clear the road near the start. He challenged me up the hill in front of his three friends in the car (he having pole position). He had such M5 arrogance while looking down his nose at my own new ED car. My AWD M-equipped car out performed his where it really mattered most - on a most challenging road. As we raced each other up the hairpins, his back-end kept sliding out and lightening up in all the corners (similar to over-powered American Mustangs), until I finally passed him on one of the corners. That felt amazing! On Stelvio! Whereas my car, I felt, hunkered down on every corner and stuck to the road like glue. I was extremely impressed with my car’s handling. Same for passing ‘better’ cars on the Autobahn at 130+ mph. Again – where and when it mattered most – and more of challenge than it would ever see here in the US – this M-equipped car drove as a high performance German car should. YMMV.
Good story- i guess.

In case you didn't realize the M5 breakin does not allow speed over 110mph.

Plus its driver that makes the car perform.

Given a good driver, your X1 won't stand a chance against M5. Even if M5 is bulky and sloppy in tight corner.

Quote:
So OP - If you like the way your M X1 looks with the same M badge on the outside as BMW put everywhere on the inside, and/or you feel it unifies your M exterior to your M interior… then go for it!
Personally, its up individual owner to decide what she or he wants to do with his/her car.

But adding a M badge does not make a car a M car.

That is all.