Thread: The X1
View Single Post
      09-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
Tiguan will give u a very harsh ride, higher seat feeling. Big lag on turbocharger, and the turbo is very annoying when working. But, compared to x1, Tiguan has a better driver door side button layout since it is wider in space and easier to reach them. Be frank, x1's window control buttons sucks as for how close they are to the door handle. The trunk space may be larger but not significantly. Also, u will find x1 doors plastic-like light and thin. Tiguan will give u a solid feeling on doors when u slam them.
Moreover, if u want a wild horse, Tiguan is a better fit ( though slower in fact than x1, x1 is too smooth)

Resell value could be tough on x1. That is sth u need to bear in mind. Order with some cool and cheap stuff like paddle shifter, chrome looks, etc. so that young buyers can shout out a stupid reason to buy it.
Resale value on the X1 should actually be very good for a near luxury all around vehicle if buyers don't get tons of options besides a truly low cost one like paddle shifters.

Why? Unlike the E90 3 series, there won't be a ton of them for sale in the used car marketplace since its an all new model in the United States. In addition, the utility of the cargo area and the excellent fuel economy will help resale as well. And the good use of space will help the car sell to city dwellers. And frankly the demographic of the buyers of the X1 compared to the 1 series will help the resale as well. 1 series drivers are more likely to be buyers who abuse their cars and that hurts resale.

However, I do think someone that gets lots of options especially beyond just the ultimate package which at least gives you somewhat of a savings and lets say paddle shifters, will take somewhat of a bath on resale but this is kind of true on most BMWs.

But a stripped down sDrive with just paddle shifters lets say just bought for $29,700(sDrive) or $31,300(xDrive) plus tax after a $1000 incentive like the Team USA discount, I actually think may sell for $18,000 to 19,000 private party after 4 years and 60,000 miles.

The last two cars I actually bought have had tremendous real world residual values and I actually expect the X1 real world residual to be only moderately worse in percentage terms since I'm lightly optioning the car with just iDrive/Nav and not much else and doing European Delivery.

For buyers who spend 8-12k in options, they are not going to do that well in terms of resale if they own the car since a used car buyer is more concerned with the maintenance of leather seats, moonroof and power seats so they don't place much value on them after 4-5 years.

My advice when buying the car is figure any option you buy will only be worth 40-50% of its invoice price after about 4 years so only get the options you will really appreciate. But the base X1 is a great bang for the buck platform so I expect it to have good resale for those buyers who avoid the strong temptation to load it up with options including the metallic paint which is basically a complete loss on cars like this after a few years when it comes to resale value.
Appreciate 0