View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

To be honest with you. Everything I've read during the debut of the X1 have indicated that both X1s with the N20 4-cylinder engine come with the hydraulic steering, with Servotronic being an option. The xDrive35i has electric power steering with Servotronic.

I usually don't trust any salesman or the so called regional managers when it comes to obtaining the correct information. I am very skeptical with his response about the sDrive28 having the electric power steering, especially since he didn't seem to know that the xDrive35i has electric power steering. I just wanted to post something that came from the regional manager in this area for all to see and judge for themselves. The only piece of relevant information (or confirmation) that I got from his response was that the Servotronic option doesn't not cause the hydraulic power steering to be replaced with an electric power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thank you investor27.

One question that comes to mind immediately is with regard to Servotronic. That is, how is it that the X1 sDrive28i, a vehicle with EPS, does not have this by default. Here is BMW's (older, acknowledged) word on the topic:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html

"The Servotronic control unit adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle. An electromagnetic valve accurately controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics, enabling outstandingly precise steering that suits your current driving situation. Conventional power steering systems, by contrast, regulate the power steering in relation to the engine's RPM. The electromechanical steering system EPS uses an electric motor to achieve the same effect."

I suppose for the X1 sDrive28i, then, this is no longer the case by default.

Furthermore, are we to understand that the 35i model has hydraulic power steering? It was not called out in the coorespondence you quoted. Edit: nevermind I had missed the link above to BMW's official site for the X1 35i. It is electric.
Appreciate 0