View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #17
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
What are your goals with the suspension modifications you are making in terms of ride quality, performance, and appearance?
Listen, I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're not talking to a typical X1 owner.

From what I can gather, you paid a shop to build your car. That's just fine, but I don't need you to cover suspension 101 with me. I've been at it with BMWs for going on 2 decades.

Wife likes the ride height of the H&Rs (about 1.5 lower than stock). They're fine ride wise...a bit underdamped (but as you can tell by reviews, not so much that most members even notice). Something like an HD will sort that out I have no doubt.

That just leaves the question of rear travel. Again, maybe the stock bodies are too long. But we just took away 1.5"+ of rear travel when lowering by not replacing/trimming the stops.

So, without having yet tried that, there's literally no way to definitively state that the stock-sized shock body doesn't have the compression travel to perform perfectly fine for all road conditions.

Maybe it won't, but it very well may. You simply cannot make the statement until you've tried.

I'm hopeful, as it's pretty darn close to enough travel as it sits.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0