View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #18
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Listen, I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're not talking to a typical X1 owner.

From what I can gather, you paid a shop to build your car. That's just fine, but I don't need you to cover suspension 101 with me. I've been at it with BMWs for going on 2 decades.
Tons of people build suspensions. Few build them right. Your misunderstanding of basic terms and principles leads me to believe you are in the latter category. But what do I know, I only have hundreds of hours of seat time in the X1 on the road course tuning suspensions, and 59,000 miles on the street. How many do you have in the vehicle on track?

Quote:
Wife likes the ride height of the H&Rs (about 1.5 lower than stock). They're fine ride wise...a bit underdamped (but as you can tell by reviews, not so much that most members even notice).
Springs have nothing to do with dampening. A spring cannot be "underdamped."

Quote:
Something like an HD will sort that out I have no doubt.
Good luck, you'll still bottom out.

Quote:
That just leaves the question of rear travel. Again, maybe the stock bodies are too long. But we just took away 1.5"+ of rear travel when lowering by not replacing/trimming the stops.
It makes more sense to cut the bump stops than it does to switch to stiffer dampers. I would try this first. Stiffer dampers will make your ride WORSE without a stiffer spring.
Appreciate 0