View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #16
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

Of course not, hence the reason for this thread. It's also extremely common when adding lowering springs to cars.

Thanks for the tip. I know you're a guy that uses a shop for his wrenching...which is never a bad way to go.

I'm an ex-ME, who's hand fabricated a few open wheel formula cars in my day, done ground up suspension work in Mitchell, worked for Sachs, etc.

I'm just fine trying things in the driveway on the weekends for my wife's daily driver.

You simply can't make the statements you're making because neither you, nor any "race shop", has tried yet regarding the X1. Hell, it's a 14 week wait for decent aftermarket front struts. As far as I can tell, no one on the boards has even bolted a set on yet.
If you did suspension work you would understand that the dampers are not supposed to support the weight of the car. This is a function of the springs. Adding a damper that is valved for a stiffer spring to a soft spring will create an uncomfortable ride that will still bottom out.

How do I know?

Because I have tried JRZ RS1 with soft 7k/14k springs and bottomed out on full stiff.

I may use a shop for my wrenching (I live in a condo with a HOA that says I can't work on my car), but I have spent $10,000 trying numerous suspension setups, spring rates, and dampers on my car. My comments are from experience.

Quote:
Do we think the HDs are going to bottom-out like the stock shocks do on the H&Rs over large bumps at high speed?
Yes, I have tried a similar setup. Springs and dampers need to be matched to each other for optimal ride quality and performance, and the weight of the car should not be supported by the damper. Adding a stiff damper to overly soft springs will not fix bottoming out.

Quote:
Since the H&R springs are "designed" to work with the stock shocks (ha), I'm thinking the HDs may be fine. I'm hoping the added stiffness of the HDs will be able to keep them from crashing on the internal bump stops....but I'm not sure.
This will not work and will result in an uncomfortably stiff ride over small impacts, while still bottoming out and bouncing over large ones.
Appreciate 0