08-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
335xi is 3800lbs.

To get a truly proper ride for the X1 you will have to move to a coilover setup. KW makes a decent entry level one, I have a custom setup from JRZ.
I'm not discounting what good coilovers (read: the good dampers that come with good coilovers, and their proper body length) bring to the table. I'm a KW V3 guy.

But what is your basis for this statement?

A couple of things...

On the H&Rs, the X1 still rides higher than a stock 335 does. At 3800#, the 335 x is right with the X1. No reason a shock built for that car couldn't work. Maybe more generally, do we even know if the shock body of a 335 koni/bilstein is shorter than that of the X1? Perhaps it's not. And if it is, well, that's another reason to think it may be a viable, if not perfect option.

The reason the car is compressing the rear stops on BIG high speed jolts is, quite simply, that we took away 1.5+" of rear travel, and left the bump stops the same length.

As with all modern BMWs, they're into the bump stops VERY early (my M3 is into them within maybe .5" of travel).

For all we know, giving the car back the bit of travel lost via lowering is all that is required (via trimming the stops). There's nothing inherent to the X1 that means this isn't the case. Could it be that the shock body is simply too long, maybe. But at this point, it's way too early to tell. There's no sound reason why if you gave the car back something close to its OE travel length (before hitting the end of the OE stops), it couldn't ride very well. What we have to do is see if that is possible with a stock-replacement shock body.

Until then, I'm not sure you can make the statement you're making. Again, this isn't a 335 ride height wise. It doesn't necessarily have the severely-limited travel issues it has, somewhat necessitating coilovers.

You jumped right to coilovers before there were any shock options right?
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0