01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #108
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Yes! I will likely end up with a M Sport Line X1 at some point in the near/semi-near future and would almost want to swap out the door sills.....they just don't seem right. What would be nice is if the Sport Line had a "sport" suspension instead of just the thicker bolstered seats and trim options. The 'Sport Package' from years past came w/ the sport seats, some trim/wheel fluff, but also had a stiffer suspension over stock.
But apart from useless visuals, the suspension and programming is all that differentiates the sports package from M-sport. It's the only thing that makes M-Sport sportier than Sport, now that even the wheels are the same.

And, truly, most buyers aren't going to like the harder suspension. I've seen posts here about people buying the M-sport and complaining about the suspension being too stiff for comfort. WTF. I blame the dealers for not telling them straight out that M-sport would be a bad idea unless they want to drive it hard and are willing to take discomfort as a trade-off. The Sport line fill a niche for those who want to appear sporty, but don't want to actually drive it hard.

My suggestion: Drop Eco-Pro on the M-Sport. Warnings that you accelerate and brake too hard? Does BMW want to turn the M-Sport drivers into grannies, giving people on the road an impression that M-Sport is for those who are allergic to acceleration and hard braking before turns?
And put on a more effective air filter, like on some other models with the N55. The few extra horses might not make a lot of difference, but it would make it win over the Sport line in a straight quarter-mile. Right now, the Sport has a tiny edge on the straights just due to weighing a few pounds less.
Appreciate 0