Thread: X5 vs My X1...
View Single Post
      03-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #68
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Well I guess I shouldn't have said "stop whining" but frankly that's how it comes across when people say of the X1, "I love it but wish it had X Y and Z." My point is that the price of a vehicle is substantially determined by production factors. The more options available, the higher the overall cost of the car for everyone. So it's not just a matter of "I'm only saying I'd pay more for soft-close doors." I'm sure BMW knows their engineering and production process and determined the total X1 package, options included, in the initial design of the car. Otherwise, why would the base price of a 3 Wagon be higher than a base X1?

Maybe the next X1 will have a different cost profile, and more "luxury" options, such as soft-close doors. Then we'll hear, "But it's FWD!"

So it's always something, as they say.

And as for the original post - yeah, the X5 is huge compared to the X1. I hate to park in "compact" spaces, but the fact is, my X1 fits within the lines of those spaces (though certainly not as nicely as a true compact). When I'm driving, I don't feel as if I'm in a smaller vehicle. then when I see another X1 on the road, usually surrounded by true SUVs, I realize that's it's just not that big. Big enough for me though! I love it for what is is.
Appreciate 0